Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Adieu Battlestar Galatica



CONTAINS SPOILERS!



Last night was a bitter/sweet moment as the last episode of Battlestar Galactica aired. It was like one of the books that you are desperate to read to know the outcome but you also know you’ll be finishing something that you’d like to go on and on.
BSG, for me, has been the best thing on television since I don’t know when, and furthermore it was SF!

Even non-SF people I know enjoyed the series, for it just wasn’t the typical Space Opera with gigantic monsters that popped out from the dark shadows to scare the crap out of you. I was a hugely character-driven series which had you twisting and turning with your allegiances to the cast. Initially I couldn’t stand Katee Sackhoff (Kara Thrace) as Starbuck, I thought they’d shot themselves in the foot by casting a woman for this part. But I gradually warmed to her and was totally freaked out with her finding her own body on the ravaged Earth that they found.
James Callis had a peach of a part playing Gaius Baltar and I have to admit I despised the character from start to finish, but hey, that’s exactly what the writers and the actors wanted, surely? Well, with me they succeeded, however, I could just be jealous that he always seemed to have his lips around Tricia Helfer (Six) who, considering wasn’t really a well-known actress, gave an excellent performance.

However, if I had to name my favourite in the series then I’d be stuck deciding between Edward James Olmos (Adama) and Michael Hogan (Saul Tigh) both of whom were outstanding. I suppose I first saw Olmos in Bladerunner and liked him from the start, then he popped up in Miami Vice and his quiet strength of character had me hooked. His role of Adama was so believable that even a wimp like me would have stepped over that red line on Galatica’s deck to go on the last mission the ship would ever take. Brilliant casting, excellent acting.
Finally Hogan’s Saul Tigh, yet another character that had my feelings in turmoil. Once again I initially disliked the character quite a lot but as the character grew and became more ‘fleshed-out’ my feelings changed and I began to understand why he was the way he was. Then the hammer blow of finding out he was a Cylon! Unbelievable! Of all the characters in the show I would never had guessed that he’d be one, primarily because he just hated all the frakkin’ toasters so how the hell could he of all people be one? Brilliant twist in the tale.
So, which one would I choose as the best in the series? Has to be Edward James Olmos for me, he was the patriarch of the survivors and such a motivating force within the series. Michael Hogan comes a very close second.

All the other actors and actresses in this series were outstanding and I’d like to mention them all but this post has become long enough, so, although I haven’t mentioned them I still think they all did a fantastic job of convincing me of their parts in this great story.

I doff my hat to Ronald D. Moore and David Eick for an enthralling series that will be remembered in years to come. Just as Bladerunner was a classic and matured over time like a fine wine I feel so will BSG in the future. I look forward to uncorking the blu-ray discs of this and once more savouring its quality.

So say we all!

1 comment:

Shimmy said...

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza, there's a hole in the bucket. The long view returns patterns and repetitions. All has happened before and will happen again. End of line.