Saturday, February 12, 2011

Asher Antique?




Clearing out my computer room today I came across an old Third Alternative magazine (now Interzone/Black Static/Crimewave) from winter 94/95 with fiction by Mike O'Driscoll - Rick Cadger - Mark McLaughlin - Wayne Edward - PJL Hinder - Julie Travis - Tim Lebbon and a guy named Neal Asher. I asked Neal if this was his first publication as I knew he started off in the mid 90s and in an email back to me he said:

I think it was my second or third publication. My very first was in Back Brain Recluse in 1989 – a short story called ‘Another England’

Neal's story in this is entitled Cavefish and is perhaps more horror than sf but you can see the beginnings of his love of strange aquatic creatures starting to flower.

Oops forgot to mention artwork by Dave Mooring and poetry by Joel Lane - Andrew Jordan - Peter Crowther and AC Evans


1 comment:

Neal Asher said...

Ah, the days when I was struggling to find my feet (or voice). It had only taken me about 10 to 15 years to get to that point.